Longman Advanced American Dictionary (with audio) app for iPhone and iPad
The dictionary for academic success.
“A must for every serious student of English!”
Patricia A. Richard-Amato, Professor Emeritus, California State University, Los Angeles
Every headword pronounced. 25,000 audio recordings to help you learn the correct pronunciation.
Full color text, zoomable illustrations and extensive sound files make the Longman Advanced American Dictionary ideal for use on your iPhone.
• Full contents of the Longman Advanced American Dictionary
• 185,000 words, phrases and meanings
• 73,000 natural examples show words in context
• Thesaurus boxes with 10,000 synonyms, antonyms, and related words
• 5000 etymologies help you learn the origins of words
• 6,000 new words for school content such as Science and Social Science
• 5,000 verb conjugation tables
• Full color technical illustrations with zoom function
• 3,000 most frequent words in spoken and written English highlighted
• Search history and book mark facility
• Progressive look-up for quick searching
• Academic wordlist highlighted to help you understand high-level academic texts
● unique three-way cross-referencing search
● real-time progressing look-up
● wildcard pattern searches -with * ?
● support for search from other applications
● OS-independent app localization
● iPod, iPhone & iPad compatible "universal app"
● Full "Retina Display" support
● Bookmarks with folders and editable notations
● Bookmark syncing across devices via iCloud
● supports Facebook APIs.
● Twitter & Evernote posts.
● Full layout for definition emails and Evernote posts.
Pros and cons of Longman Advanced American Dictionary (with audio) app for iPhone and iPad
Longman Advanced American Dictionary (with audio) app good for
At CCSF most of our ESL teachers strongly reccommend Longman Advanced American Dictionary&CD-ROM. ( a huge and heavy doctionary
Now you can carry all of it in your palm with iPhone or iPod touch. Thank you very much Longman, you make it easy for us.
Phaichit & Vachira
An excellent help for ESL student, very easy to use and understand. It is definitely worth its price!
I have the Longman Advanced American Dictionary and CD ROM as well, and I dont like carrying it around, too heavy. Now, I can carry the dictionary in my iPhone, v 1.4.1
I would like to see some updates implemented for the iPhone:
1) flip through from word to word. Now, you have to go back and then select the next word in the dictionary. Samething for the favorites list.
2) Implement multiple favorite lists, not only one
3) Be able to see horizontal on the iPhone
4) I would like to be able to record myself pronouncing a word and replay it. (This option is available in the CD but not in the iPhone)
This is a really good dictionary, which includes the pronunciation in IPA and you can listen how to pronounce the words.
Its the best dictionary.... easy to use always there is something new
The dictionary is perfect, but some words that arent included pronunciation. When I pressed audio of some words, it didnt work at all. Please fix it.
I really love all the Longman dictionaries that I use (Advanced American, Phrasal Verbs, Idioms and Activator). I think they are the best on the market.
The only problem is that I always have to switch between them. It would be much more handily to have one Longman dictionary application and pluggable dictionaries designed as in-app purchases (like in Lingvo). It would undoubtedly be 5 stars.
Some bad moments
I expected this dictionary application because it was by Longman. But when I downloaded it and started using, my expectation was suddenly changed to disappointment. Its menu icons such as "Dictionary" "Favorites" "Search" especially "History"!! are very unclear. In fact, you can find it now in the above screenshots. It really disappointed me. If you want to use standard designed application, I recommend you to choose another dictionary.
I recently upgraded my dictionary, previous one worked excellent, but after upgrading my LAAD app stopped responding.
I love this App, but Its not longer working after you upgrade your devices to IOS 7.1. If you cant finish your printing at first 5 second the App will die. The the only thing you can do is close App. Please fix it ASAP
Used to be a good app with activator in app purchase - after transferring from iTunes to iPhone 6 its stop responding - also unable to download the paid add in activator.
Contacted developer so many times with no response.
I think they abandoned this app.
Do not buy.
Hi , why there isnt still any update for ios 9 , just the logo come up and then app close
I purchased LAAD MORE THAN THREE YEARS AND IT WAS WORKING WILL TILL OS9 all of a sudden it stop working Plz help in this regard or reimbursed us for this item